£50000 - £55000 per annum + BENEFITS
Principal Quantity Surveyor
Site based – Camberley , Surrey
Salary up to £55,000 + Car allowance
Our client predominately builds in and around the Home Counties and South East of England and they aim to create homes tailored to each customer that suit the characteristics of the place and local community.
Our client is currently seeking a professional and experienced Quantity Surveyor to join a successful commercial team. The primary focus of the role is to obtain and evaluate information to ensure a realistic cost for the supply of works, goods, materials, and series for our build projects/contracts at the site in Camberley. The post holder will be required to minimise the cost and risk of the construction project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required legal standards and quality. This includes ensuring statutory building regulations are met.
The post holder will also be required to aid in the preparation and submission of Site Appraisals and then take successful bids through to completion on site, managing all aspects of the contract and its administration.
Key skills for this Quantity Surveyor role include;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience
- Extensive site-based experience
- Experience in managing Groundworks packages (enquiries, orders, valuations, payments)
- Minimum HNC in building studies or equivalent
- Numeracy and the ability to analyse costs
- Methodical approach and attention to detail
- A good working knowledge of MS Excel and the ability to learn how to use specialist software (COINS – training provided if required)
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work in a team
- The ability to negotiate
- Construction estimating is advantageous.
- Sound knowledge of construction and current regulations
- Excellent negotiating and interpersonal skills
- Ability to organize, plan, and strategize
- A valid driver’s license
- Great networking abilities
- Confident in challenging situations
Key responsibilities of this Quantity Surveyor role include;
The role will cover a range of quantity surveying and estimating disciplines. The list of responsibilities below covers areas the candidate will be involved in. Resources within the team will be available to aid you with the overall delivery of projects.
- Source new subcontractors of sufficient size and competence for each new site.
- Ensure QS obtains fully competitive tenders for all elements of construction works in line with the build programme. Subcontractors to be checked that they can meet quality and take references.
- Issue and authorise all orders from commercial department monitoring same against budgets.
- Monitor all QS/Buying costings against site start appraisal budgets reporting all findings to Commercial/Finance Director.
- Prepare all cost reports for inclusion in Board pack.
- Ensure that all construction and technical information is sent to all subcontractors.
- Ensure all necessary method statements and insurance information is received from contractors prior to their site commencement.
- Contractor payments – check that items of work are complete before authorising any payments – gaining Head of Commercial/Commercial Directors signature before processing any payment with accounts department.
- Attend any relevant courses as instructed by Commercial Director.
- Prepare costings for value engineering purposes and liaise with Head of Commercial/Commercial Director.
- Prepare site start and land acquisition appraisals as requested by Land and Finance Department.
- Ensure the Head of Commercial/Commercial Director is fully informed of the progress of all aspects of the Quantity Surveyor’s work.
- Ensure Commercial Department procedures notes are complied with at all times.
- Attend training as required
- Provide general support and assistance to the Head of Commercial Manager and Commercial Director as required
- Carry out any other duties as reasonably required by the Head of Commercial Manager and Commercial Director
In order to discuss this Quantity Surveyor role and other similar roles please call MIKAELA on 01792 365104 or email your CV to Mikaela.Rabaiotti@penguinrecruitment.co.uk